CENTER LINE — A 49-year-old woman struck by a vehicle at Van Dyke and Kaltz March 19 later died of her injuries, Center Line Public Safety Lt. Tom Costello said.
“At about 8:05 p.m. we were dispatched to a pedestrian accident. The first arriving officer saw a female laying in the roadway and determined she needed CPR,” Costello said. “Witnesses said it appeared that she ran into traffic.”
Costello said the victim, a resident of Center Line, reportedly ran east onto Van Dyke from the west side of the road. The vehicle that struck her was traveling north on Van Dyke and was driven by a 58-year-old man.
“He immediately pulled off to the side of the road, put his hazards on and waited for police,” Costello said. “He cooperated fully.”
Costello said the driver’s vehicle was traveling in a middle lane along Van Dyke. Though the woman was struck after dark, he said the roadway was illuminated but that the driver likely could not have avoided hitting her.
An autopsy was performed on the victim and her family was notified. The Center Line Public Safety Department was still awaiting the results of a toxicology report linked to the autopsy.
Costello declined to speculate why the woman entered the roadway.
The driver was released at the scene but the investigation remained ongoing. Costello said the driver’s vehicle was held initially but was later released.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Court pushes back exam dates for crash survivors - Romeo
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Experts weigh in on the proper use of roundabouts - Southfield
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit