WarrenMarch 28, 2013
Official says space heater ignited couch, causing fatal fire
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN – A space heater operating too close to a couch caused a fire that killed a 59-year-old Warren man and his dog March 27, Warren’s top fire official said.
Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams said emergency crews were dispatched to the home on Thomas west of Ryan and north of 11 Mile Road at 8:24 a.m. and arrived to find flames and smoke billowing from the front half of the ranch-style single-family dwelling.
“We made entry through the front door; a simultaneous attack of the fire and search and rescue,” McAdams said. “We found the victim on the floor near a wall leading into the kitchen. It was determined that the victim was deceased and there was no hope of rescue resuscitation. We also found a small pet in the room of origin.”
McAdams said the fire was not suspicious in any way and that it had been ruled accidental.
“The room of origin was the living room. It appears that the origin and the cause were the combustibles too close to a heat source. He was using a space heater to provide secondary heat to his living room. It appears it was too close to his couch,” McAdams said.
Firefighters from Station No. 6 on 12 Mile west of Ryan reportedly saw smoke from the station as they were dispatched.
Additional firefighters were sent to the scene from Station No. 3 on Ryan north of 12 Mile and Station No. 4 on Chicago Road east of Mound.
The death was Warren’s second fire fatality of 2013.
An 80-year-old man became the city’s first fire-related death since 2010 after rescuers pulled him from the bed of his smoke-filled home near 13 Mile and Dequindre Jan. 15.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- WB board to petition governor for treasurer’s removal - West Bloomfield
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time - Ferndale
- Avoid holiday horror stories - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi