SouthfieldJune 11, 2013
New Comedy Zone opens in Southfield
By Jessica Strachan
C & G Staff Writer
SOUTHFIELD — When Dearborn resident Olga Wierszewski needed an evening away with her three sisters, the grand opening of Southfield’s newest comedy club, Comedy Zone, was the place to be, she said.
“This was one of the first comedy shows I’ve ever seen, and it was hilarious — truly great,” Wierszewski, 48, said about the theater that opened next door to Southfield’s AMC Movie Theatre. “It was pretty fun for a night out with the girls, which I desperately needed.”
The Comedy Zone, a national live-comedy theater chain with 65 locations, opened its first and only Michigan venue in Southfield.
Opening weekend, held June 6-8, kicked off with comedian, writer and actor Charlie Murphy and his show “Charlie Murphy’s Acid Trip.”
Wally Mona, the owner of the Southfield franchise, said he hopes the club becomes a premier comedy venue in the Detroit area. Mona, who has been in the entertainment business for nearly 13 years and owns Macomb Music Theatre in Mount Clemens, said he believes the club has an edge, being part of the national chain.
“We will be able to bring big names to Southfield. It would be impossible to get them on our own, but having the Comedy Zone franchise, we are able to get these comedians at a lower price and pass that on to our customers.”
Murphy was just the beginning in the lineup of national comics. The schedule includes Hal Sparks and Rob Scheider in July; Greg Morton and Dustin Diamond, known as “Screech” from Saved by the Bell, in August; Keenen Ivory Wayans in September; and Steve-O and Rondell Sheridan in October.
Mona noted that four of the five opening shows were sold out in the intimate 300-seat venue.
Wierszewski said that the ticket prices, which will be around $25, and the fact that the atmosphere was “cozy” would draw her back in for upcoming shows.
The Comedy Zone will also host private parties and corporate events, according to Mona, and he hopes that instead of a Thursday through Saturday lineup, the club will eventually be open seven days a week, with activities and shows every day.
Working with corporate, he specifically hopes to reserve Wednesdays for locals to come in and show off their talent, which might lead to an opportunity to go on the road with the Comedy Zone national circuit, he said.
“You come here for great laughs, a great time, great food and drinks. We have it all and there’s not a bad seat in the house,” he said.
Comedy Zone is located at 25333 W. 12 Mile Road in Southfield. For more information, including the full schedule, visit www.detroitcomedyzone.com.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi