Shelby TownshipDecember 10, 2012
Motorists, police discover body in woods
By Brad D. Bates
C & G Staff Writer
Passing motorists and police discovered the body of what Shelby Township Police Chief Roland Woelkers called the victim of an “apparent suicide” Dec. 7.
The body was found hanging in a wooded area near 23 Mile Road and the M-53 expressway after motorists reported the situation to police, who verified the remains as a man who had at one time lived in Shelby Township, though not currently.
“Preliminary indication is it’s an apparent suicide,” Woelkers said. “We have not tracked down all the family, so we’re not releasing the name.”
Woelkers said the body appeared to have gone undiscovered since June, and there was no missing persons report for the individual.
“It looks like, with some of the leaves coming down in that area, that people could see into the woods a little bit better,” Woelkers said of what contributed to the discovery.
“The autopsy is today, and the detective bureau is still working on things,” Woelkers added Dec. 10. “He appears to be in his mid-30s. We’re 95-percent sure it was a suicide, but until the autopsy, you never know for sure.”
Woelkers said the victim’s last known residence was outside of Shelby Township, and police are investigating all possible connections between the man and Shelby Township.
“His last residence was not Shelby, but he has family in the area,” Woelkers said. “We’re not quite sure what his connection to that area would be.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi