Published April 9, 2013
Months away, Sterlingfest gets preview
By Eric Czarnik email@example.com
It’s still months away, but organizers of the annual Sterlingfest Art & Music Fair are already finding plenty to celebrate.
Sterlingfest will make its 2013 run July 25-27 at Sterling Heights’ City Center campus.
Sterling Heights Community Relations Steve Guitar gave details of a sneak peek at the festival, the 33rd year that Sterling Heights has hosted the event. A typical year draws more than 100,000 people from the metro Detroit area to enjoy a secure environment filled with fun for all ages.
“It’s a celebration of the performing, cultural and culinary arts in Sterling Heights,” Guitar said. “I think this is a festival where you can bring every member of your family and have something to offer.”
Guitar said children can pass the time watching a kids entertainment stage, while a carnival midway with numerous rides will appeal to families and older children. Adults can enjoy the jazz court and evening concerts, and a Suds ‘n’ Sounds beer tent.
Mike Crimmins, Sterling Heights’ broadcast services manager, said the festival fills its four stages with entertainment acts that should please any music fan. At least 20 bands specializing in pop, rock, jazz and blues will take to their instruments, including some opening acts with Sterling Heights roots.
Crimmins said tribute acts to The Rolling Stones, Van Halen and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers will headline each night of the festival.
“All three are professional, traveling, touring tribute acts,” he said. “They aren’t just four guys from a garage who make Tom Petty songs.”
An arts and crafts show will set up shop and sell the choice handiwork of local artists, such as paintings, photos, sculptures and more.
Festival guests won’t have to look far to grab a bite to eat. In addition to street food vendors, 12 local restaurants are expected to participate in the Sterlingfest Restaurant Row, serving American grill fare, seafood, pierogies and hummus.
“It’s a little bit of everything for everybody,” Guitar said.
The 2013 Sterlingfest Art & Music Fair will take place July 25-27 at Sterling Heights’ City Center campus, 40555 Utica Road. Festival hours are 10 a.m.-11 p.m.
Find out more information, including a list of musical talent, at www.sterlingfest.info.
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Dozens file for Warren city offices as lawsuit lingers - Warren
- List of intersection accident data released - Metro Detroit
- Detroit Zoo crowdfunds to harness energy from poop - Metro Detroit
- Alleged murderer of party store owner to stand trial - Clinton Township
- Rebuilding Together breathes new life into homes - Farmington Hills
- Crime down, quality of department up in 2014 - Royal Oak
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- By the book: Experts explain how strange, outdated laws manage to stick around - Metro Detroit
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Jazz pros, students to celebrate music of past and present at April 30 concert - Detroit
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say
- Henry, longtime police K-9, to retire April 17
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan
- NAMM award is sweet music to UCS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter
- Jazz pros, students to celebrate music of past and present at April 30 concert