Mount ClemensMay 6, 2013
Men shot on streets of Mount Clemens
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
MOUNT CLEMENS — Two men sustained non-life-threatening injuries and three men are in custody following a double shooting in Mount Clemens May 4.
Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said it’s still unknown if the three men who were arrested shortly after the shooting at Clemens and Court streets at around 9 p.m. were involved.
“Deputies responding to the shooting saw a vehicle driving away from the scene at a high rate of speed,” said Wickersham. “They were eventually pulled over and one of the three men inside got out and fled on foot.”
The sheriff said that while the two suspects inside the car were detained, the third was found hiding out inside a nearby residence.
“A search warrant was obtained and during a subsequent search of the residence a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun was recovered,” Wickersham said.
The three men — a 23-year-old from Mount Clemens, a 39-year-old from Mount Clemens and an 18-year-old from Roseville — were ultimately arrested on charges not relating to the shooting. Those charges include resisting and obstructing, fleeing and eluding, possession of marijuana and receiving and concealing a stolen firearm.
They were expected to be arraigned May 6.
The victims, a 17-year-old from New Haven and a 17-year-old from Eastpointe, were treated and released from McLaren Macomb in Mount Clemens. One suffered a gunshot wound to his foot and the other to his calf.
Wickersham said detectives are continuing their investigation and awaiting MSP forensic lab results to determine if the recovered weapon and the bullet taken from one of the victims matches.
It is unclear what led to the shooting.
“We’re not getting much information from the victims who say they don’t know what happened,” said Wickersham. “The suspects have not admitted to anything (as it pertains to the shooting).”
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the Macomb County Sheriff’s Detective Bureau at (586) 307-9358.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi