Mount ClemensApril 29, 2013
Man sentenced to jail time for drunken driving
By Nico Rubello
C & G Staff Writer
MOUNT CLEMENS — A Macomb County judge has sentenced a man to at least eight years behind bars for the deaths of two motorcyclists in a drunken driving accident last August.
Judge Mary Chrzanowski sentenced Jeffery Jones, 46, to between eight years and three months, and 15 years in prison for the accident, which occurred on Gratiot in Clinton Township, according to court records. Jones had pleaded no contest to the charges in March.
Investigators say that, at about 11 p.m. Aug. 17, Jones was driving an SUV south on Gratiot, near Wendell Street in Clinton Township, when he struck motorcycles traveling in the same direction. Jones was reportedly under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident.
Two people on one of the motorcycles — Thomas Taylor, 58, and girlfriend Kelly Potasnik, 47, both of Roseville — were killed when their motorcycle was hit and launched into another vehicle.
Jones also pleaded no contest to a drunken driving charge related to seriously injuring another person on another motorcycle, who was hospitalized after his motorcycle went down in the accident. For that charge, he was sentenced to a concurrent jail term of between three and five years in prison.
A no contest plea, while not an admission of guilt, is treated as such for sentencing purposes. Jones has already served eight months in jail since the accident, court records state.
The attorney representing Jones did not return a call for comment by press time.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Parks and Rec confirms ITC won’t work on trail until 2014 - West Bloomfield
- Mount Clemens man accused of sexually assaulting daughters - Mount Clemens
- Special needs program receives $10,000 grant for iPads - Hazel Park
- Two suspects on loose after robbing Comerica Bank - Clinton Township
- Man charged for indecent exposure on Hall Road - Utica
- Holiday Shopping Expo comes to town Dec. 14-15 - Farmington Hills
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi