MOUNT CLEMENS — A Macomb County judge has sentenced a man to at least eight years behind bars for the deaths of two motorcyclists in a drunken driving accident last August.
Judge Mary Chrzanowski sentenced Jeffery Jones, 46, to between eight years and three months, and 15 years in prison for the accident, which occurred on Gratiot in Clinton Township, according to court records. Jones had pleaded no contest to the charges in March.
Investigators say that, at about 11 p.m. Aug. 17, Jones was driving an SUV south on Gratiot, near Wendell Street in Clinton Township, when he struck motorcycles traveling in the same direction. Jones was reportedly under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident.
Two people on one of the motorcycles — Thomas Taylor, 58, and girlfriend Kelly Potasnik, 47, both of Roseville — were killed when their motorcycle was hit and launched into another vehicle.
Jones also pleaded no contest to a drunken driving charge related to seriously injuring another person on another motorcycle, who was hospitalized after his motorcycle went down in the accident. For that charge, he was sentenced to a concurrent jail term of between three and five years in prison.
A no contest plea, while not an admission of guilt, is treated as such for sentencing purposes. Jones has already served eight months in jail since the accident, court records state.
The attorney representing Jones did not return a call for comment by press time.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township