WarrenFebruary 5, 2013
Man charged in beating of elderly man
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — An 80-year-old Macomb County man remained in critical condition Jan. 31, days after police said he was brutally beaten by another patient at a mental health facility in Warren.
According to Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green, Jajuan Whitlow, of Canton, 23, was arrested after officers were called to the Behavioral Center of Michigan near 12 Mile and Ryan early Jan. 27.
Green said officers investigated an assault that allegedly occurred in one of the rooms at the facility and took Whitlow into custody. He said the assault left an elderly Chesterfield Township resident with “massive head injuries,” including skull fractures and damage to at least one eye.
A motive for the beating remained unclear. Green said Whitlow refused to speak to detectives, and police were still interviewing employees who witnessed the beating.
The elderly victim, who was not identified, had been receiving treatment at the facility for an unspecified condition.
Green said Whitlow was transferred to the center from another hospital where he was assessed at the request of a law enforcement agency in Wayne County.
“What we do know is that he was there because there was some violence indicated in his behavior,” Green said. “The obvious common-sense question is how they got in the same room with each other?”
Whitlow was arraigned in the 37th District Court Jan. 28 on a charge of assault with intent to commit murder, a felony punishable by up to life in prison. His bond was set at $500,000 cash or surety ahead of a preliminary examination scheduled for 8:45 a.m. Feb. 5, after press time, before Judge Jennifer Faunce.
Green said the case was submitted to Macomb County prosecutors for further review.
A call to the Behavioral Center of Michigan requesting comment on the case was transferred to the voice mailbox of CEO Ryan Gunabalan. A message left for Gunabalan had not been returned at press time.
According to its website, the Behavioral Center of Michigan is a 42-bed psychiatric care facility serving adults older than 18 who suffer from acute psychiatric conditions. The facility is open 24 hours and offers a list of services.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi