St. Clair ShoresOctober 5, 2012
Man accused of requesting sexual favors from teen
By Kristyne E. Demske
C & G Staff Writer
A St. Clair Shores man is under arrest after allegedly trying to pay for sexual favors from a Detroit teenager.
Neighbors called St. Clair Shores police to the 19000 block of Salisbury Street just after midnight Sept. 29 because of a suspicious vehicle.
Once there, officers found two women, an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old, both from Detroit, in the vehicle who said they were waiting for their friend who was inside a nearby home. That’s where police found the 36-year-old male homeowner with a 15-year-old Detroit girl.
Detective Margaret Eidt said the women borrowed an unrelated person’s vehicle to get to the city. The 18-year-old Detroit woman, identified as Niaterria Grant, told police she was out of money and needed gas. She said she received a phone call from the 36-year-old man, identified as Antwann Chrisjopher Hawkins, of St. Clair Shores, who said he would give her money for sexual favors. He allegedly paid her $50 for some sexual favors, but she then left the home and told the 15-year-old that they could make more money if she went and did the same.
Detective Jeff Goode said that the 15-year-old, who is not being named because of her age, told them that she went to the bathroom of the home to perform the sexual act, but it was not completed. According to the police report, she said the man gave her $20 when she walked in the house, then escorted her to the bathroom. Immediately afterward, he told her to leave because the police were there.
The 15-year-old said the man did not touch her sexually.
Police arrested Grant, and she was arraigned Sept. 29 in 40th District Court in front of Judge Mark Fratarcangeli on charges of prostitution/accepting earnings, a 20-year felony. She was released on personal bond.
Hawkins was arraigned the same date on charges of prostitution/pandering, a 20-year felony; children/accosting for immoral purposes, a four-year felony; and prostitution/admitting into a house, a 93-day misdemeanor. He is being held on a $25,000 cash or surety bond and was set to be back in court Oct. 9.
According to Goode, the 15-year-old was also arrested, but was released into the custody of an uncle. The department is seeking charges of prostitution/accepting earnings for sexual favors from the Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- City purse snatcher still at large - Grosse Pointe City
- Christmas Bird Count draws near - Macomb County
- Former Berkley mayor offers to repair clock she donated to city - Berkley
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi