Published November 26, 2013
Looking Back: The original Madison Heights City Hall
By Roslyn Yerman, library director at the Madison Heights Public Library
Instrumental in the passage of the city charter was a young charter consultant named Donald Smith, who was appointed as city manager in February 1956. After being appointed, there was limited office space, as Royal Oak Township was using the rest. Additionally, he faced the prospect of running a city on borrowed money and the problems of equally dividing the assets of the old Royal Oak Township. Township officials requested a formal census for this purpose. City officials set up offices in the City-Township Hall at 26305 John R. The building still exists today.