St. Clair Shores
Looking Back: Love and marriage — 1907 style
Published February 18, 2014
Source: Cynthia Bieniek, archivist at the St. Clair Shores Public Library
Photo courtesy of the St. Clair Shores Historical Commission
A century ago, many brides could not afford elaborate white lace wedding dresses, although they were coming into style. This portrait of John Green, Jr. and his bride, Ida Belle Smith, was taken around the time of their marriage on January 16, 1907. The groom and the best man, Arthur Van Howve, wore their Sunday-best suits with white ties. Ida Belle Smith and Mary Green, her maid of honor and the groom’s sister, wore ankle-length skirts and white blouses, decorated with fine lace and French pleats. Their hair was neatly done in the “Gibson Girl” style. The marriage was performed by Fr. John O’Shea.
John Green, Jr. was the son of John Green and Ernestine Selinsky. Ida Belle was the daughter of George Smith and Lillian Bunert. Visit the Selinsky Green Farmhouse Museum to learn more about life in Erin Township in the early 1900s.
This photograph and other images are available to view through the Digital Media Archive on www.scslibrary.org.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township