Looking Back: Gibraltar Trade Center

Mount Clemens - Clinton - Harrison Journal | Published September 22, 2017

On Aug. 27, 2017, when the doors of the Gibraltar Trade Center closed for good, we marked the end of another era for the property that was once home to the Mount Clemens Race Track.

The site was part of Harrison Township until it was annexed by Mount Clemens. The track opened around 1900 and featured year-round horse races and parimutuel betting. When horse racing on ice and betting were banned, the track turned to auto racing.

In 1954, the addition of a quarter-mile-long lagoon in the center made it the first and only auto/boat racetrack. Unfortunately, the water sport did not catch on, even when members of Florida’s Cypress Gardens ski team were brought in to entertain. For more information, go to mtclib.org.

— Marie P. (Ling) McDougal, Harrison Township historian