Looking Back: Former city building held government offices
Posted May 17, 2017
Before the building was torn down sometime during the 1960s, the offices of Rochester municipal officials were located above the city’s fire station in the east alley, off Fourth Street, near Main Street.
The building was built in 1895 for a cost of $750, according to Rochester Hills Museum officials, and it replaced a rented facility that had been used by city officials for the previous 25 years. In addition to the municipal offices and the Fire Department, the building held the city Police Department and jail.
The Rochester Fire Department was not formally organized until 1895, and at the time it consisted of a chief engineer, two volunteer hose companies and 20 volunteer firefighters, according to Rochester Avon Historical Society members.
Today the Rochester Municipal Complex is located a few blocks north and west of the original building, on Sixth Street, at the edge of Municipal Park.
More from C & G Newspapers
St. Clair Shores