Looking Back: Disco Grade School
Posted December 22, 2013
Sources: Photographs from the Shelby Township Historical Committee archives; information from Hilary Davis
Students and faculty of the Disco Grade School pose for a class photograph circa 1905. Typical for this time, grade school consisted of first through eighth grade, which were all taught by one teacher in one room. The teacher in this photograph is the young woman on the right wearing the hat. The man in the suit is the school district superintendent. Students in these schools ranged in age from 5-15. In order to attend school, the students had to pay tuition, which was several cords of firewood to heat the schoolhouse.
The second photograph, taken around 1905, shows the Disco Grade School building. It was built in 1904 at the southwest corner of 24 Mile and Van Dyke, where the Shelby Township Public Library now stands.
More from C & G Newspapers
St. Clair Shores