Looking Back: Annie Lathrup School
December 4, 2013
From Mary Kearney, Lathrup Village Historical Society
This photo shows a teacher greeting students at Annie Lathrup School, circa 1929. At that time, the school had four classrooms, a kindergarten classroom with a fireplace, and a radio in every room. The gym, which doubled as an auditorium, was open to residents for athletic and social activities.
Annie Lathrup School was built in 1927. At some point, it became part of Southfield Public Schools, and it closed its doors in the 1970s, when student enrollment was declining.
A developer bought it, and it was feared that he might tear the building down. In the 1990s, he leased it to Akiva Day School for 10 years. After Akiva moved to other quarters in 1999, he leased the school to the Academy of Lathrup Village. The building is currently for lease.
Do you own a piece of Southfield or Lathrup Village history? Send us your historically significant photos from around town and we may be able to feature them in an upcoming edition of Looking Back. Email them to Jessica Strachan at email@example.com or call (586) 279-1108.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township