Lathrup VillageDecember 5, 2012
Lathrup Village resident charged with homicide in Redford Township
By Jessica Strachan
C & G Staff Writer
REDFORD TOWNSHIP — A 22-year-old Lathrup Village man has been charged with the killing of a Detroit woman at a motel in Redford Township Nov. 28.
The suspect, Kevin-Jamel Myers, is accused of killing 22-year-old Porschea Wright at the Travelers Motor Inn, located at 9939 Telegraph Road, according to Redford police Capt. James Turner.
Redford Township officers were dispatched to the hotel last Wednesday afternoon and found Wright dead, with a gunshot wound, according to a press release.
Turner said further details about the homicide could not be released, pending further investigation, though local authorities were able to track down Turner in the area and arrest him that same night.
“We were able to locate him in Oakland County, with the assistance of Southfield and Lathrup Village police,” he explained.
The press release indicated that the meeting of Myers and Wright at the hotel was their first encounter.
“It does not appear the suspect and victim had any previous connections with each other,” the release stated. It also noted that Myers was accused of stealing from the woman.
Myers was arraigned by Judge Charlotte Wirth of the 17th District Court, and his charges include homicide and armed robbery. He was denied bond, according to the press release, and is being held at the Wayne County Jail.
Myers has a court-appointed attorney, Ronald Weitzman, who could not be reached for comment. Myers’ next court date is at 11 a.m. Dec. 14 at the 17th District Court.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi