St. Clair ShoresNovember 7, 2012
January trial date set for local teen
By Kristyne E. Demske
C & G Staff Writer
A local teen accused of stabbing his friend will head to trial early in 2013.
Seventeen-year-old Shane Spatafore of St. Clair Shores is accused of stabbing another teen in the early morning hours of Sept. 3 at a home in the 22000 block of 13 Mile Road.
The victim, a fellow student at Lake Shore High School, sustained a punctured lung and possible internal bleeding from the incident, in which Spatafore reportedly grabbed a steak knife from the kitchen and chased the other boy to the basement before allegedly stabbing him four times in the chest.
Spatafore is charged with assault with intent to commit murder, which is a life felony; two-year felonies for resisting and obstructing, and assaulting a police officer; and a charge of malicious destruction of property for breaking a patio table in the neighborhood.
In Macomb County Circuit Court Oct. 26, his attorney, David Pietroski, of Warren, was with Spatafore when a trial date of Jan. 29 was set.
Pietroski said he would be making a request for deviation to the Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office in an effort to lower the charges before the trial, but he will proceed if that request is denied.
“Shane is trying to keep his life as normal as possible,” Pietroski said. “He was very worried about his friend.”
The victim in the case has since recovered and is back at school. Spatafore is completing his coursework at home. Pietroski said his client has always aspired to attend Michigan State University and is now “doing what he has to do.”
“I think he’s going to graduate on time,” Pietroski said.
Spatafore is out on bond but on house arrest set by the 40th District Court.
The case is set for trial before Macomb County Circuit Court Judge Mary Chrzanowski at 8 a.m. Jan. 29.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi