HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 49-year-old Mount Clemens man was killed when he lost control of his vehicle while merging onto the freeway in Harrison Township April 30.
According to Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham, William Weaver died from injuries sustained in the multi-vehicle crash that occurred when he lost control of his 1987 Chrysler New Yorker while merging onto traffic on eastbound Interstate 94 at Metropolitan Parkway.
According to investigators, Weaver had entered the busy freeway from eastbound Metropolitan Parkway and crossed over all three lanes of traffic, striking another vehicle and then hitting the center median barrier. His vehicle was subsequently struck by a third vehicle.
“He veered across all lanes as he merged onto the freeway for inexplicable reasons,” said Lt. John Michalke.
Weaver was transported to McLaren Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead from his injuries. He was not wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash.
The other two drivers were uninjured.
Michalke said investigators are waiting for results from a toxicology test to determine if drugs or alcohol contributed to the crash.
The freeway was closed for several hours while the investigation continued and the wreckage was cleared. It was reopened at 6:35 p.m.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Students, parents get charged up for iPads - Troy
- Planners postpone mosque approval request - Sterling Heights
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit