A home on the corner of Corteville Street and Jefferson Avenue is uninhabitable after a fire broke out on the main floor of the house.
Battalion Chief Greg Coplai said the St. Clair Shores Fire Department was called a little before 9:30 a.m. Sept. 27 by the homeowner, a man about 50 years old, who was doing repair work on the roof when the blaze began.
“We arrived, there was heavy, dark smoke, the resident was home and out of the house,” Coplai said. “Our first engine arrived, made entry and extinguished the fire in the main floor.”
He said the damage was contained to the room of origin, the home’s family room. A number of windows were also broken for ventilation purposes.
Coplai said the home would be uninhabitable for the foreseeable future. He said they do not anticipate criminal charges to be filed at this time, but the Fire Marshall was called to the scene and the investigation was ongoing as of the afternoon of Sept. 27.
No one was injured and Coplai said they do not believe the repair work the homeowner was conducting on the roof was related to the fire.
St. Clair Shores sent three fire engines and three ambulances to the scene; the Roseville Fire Department also responded to a call for mutual aid and sent a fire engine.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township