St. Clair ShoresNovember 21, 2012
Home invasion suspect caught
By Kristyne E. Demske
C & G Staff Writer
A 41-year-old Warren man is in custody in connection with a trio of home invasions in the northern end of the city during the month of November.
Lt. David Centala said they arrested Richard Rybicki of Warren Nov. 19 in connection with home invasions on Tanglewood, Taylor and Recreation streets throughout the month.
“Detectives did an intensive investigation that led to Richard as a suspect,” Centala said.
In the latest incident, police were called to the 22000 block of Recreation Street just before 3 p.m. Nov. 15 after a 69-year-old man reported that someone had kicked in the east door of his home and taken two video game consoles, a television, a jewelry box and three revolvers.
When they arrived, officers observed black shoe marks on the door where it had been kicked in. A nearby witness told police he was working across the street around 1 p.m. when he heard a “banging sound,” and noticed a light-colored vehicle in the driveway of the home.
Centala explained that officer Paul Plaza was patrolling the city’s north end Nov. 19 when he saw a man matching the suspect’s description, driving a vehicle that matched witnesses’ accounts as well.
Plaza “performed a traffic stop, which led to a search warrant,” Centala said. “Numerous stolen items were recovered.”
He said no one was home during the thefts. Rybicki has an extensive criminal history, he added.
Rybicki was arraigned Nov. 20 in front of Judge Joseph Oster of the 40th District Court with three counts of home invasion, a 15-year felony, and one five-year felony count of receiving and concealing stolen property, and one 93-day misdemeanor count of the same charge. Bond was set at $150,000 cash/surety.