Home fire sparks in bathroom, spreads to attic

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published February 19, 2018

 The cause of this Feb. 16 fire on Emerald Lakes Drive, which started in the bathroom, remains under investigation.

The cause of this Feb. 16 fire on Emerald Lakes Drive, which started in the bathroom, remains under investigation.

Photo provided by Troy Fire Department

Firefighters were called to a home on Emerald Lake, in the John R and Square Lake roads area, just after 3:30 p.m. Feb. 16 on a report that smoke was coming from the garage of a large, one-story home. 

Although there was a language barrier with a housekeeper, she communicated to firefighters that she had been alone in the home when the fire occurred. 

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and fire in the back of the home, Troy Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Riesterer said in a prepared statement. 

Crews sent a hose line to the rear of the home to extinguish the fire, ventilated smoke, then entered from the garage to search the home and confirm that the fire was out, according to a fire report. 

A search confirmed that no one was in the home, Riesterer said. The fire had advanced into the attic, which was filled with cellulose insulation, which uses recycled and ground-up newspaper and can add to an undetected spread of fire throughout an attic, according to the Fire Department. 

Firefighters removed the material to ensure that the blaze was extinguished. 

Riesterer said it appears that the fire started in the bathroom, and it remains under investigation. Damage estimates were incomplete. The residents are unable to inhabitat the home and are staying with family. 

Call Staff Writer Terry Oparka at (586) 498-1054.