Sterling HeightsOctober 9, 2013
Halloween events to open doors to kids
By Eric Czarnik
C & G Staff Writer
The Sterling Heights Parks and Recreation Department’s upcoming party for kids may be a sweet treat.
The department will celebrate its 37th annual Children’s Halloween Party Oct. 26 at the Parks and Recreation Center in Dodge Park. The event is geared for families with children 10 and younger.
Recreation Manager Kyle Langlois said much of the event is held outdoors. Kids are encouraged to arrive in costume, as the event will feature an outdoor costume parade. He said they will get a chance to receive candy and play pumpkin- and Halloween-themed games for prizes.
People can get their pictures taken in a pumpkin-patch setting, he said.
“It’s one of our main special events that we tend to offer on a yearly basis,” he said. “The event keeps improving the last few years. We certainly have cider and doughnuts for people. We’ll have inflatables and rides. We’ll have hayrides this year, which is new.”
Recreation Supervisor Troy Nowotny said many of the events are family-oriented.
“Some of the games would be like a sack race,” he said. “We do a pumpkin ring (activity) where they throw hula-hoops around pumpkins.”
Thanks to a sponsorship by Great Clips, the event will offer hayrides that will roll through Dodge Park.
“It should be a fairly nice, long ride,” Nowotny said.
Langlois said the event is free, but they are asking visitors to bring along canned food and nonperishable items that will be donated to families in need.
He said turnout is often dependent on the weather.
“As we continue to improve and make the event a more enjoyable experience for people, I would say we’re a thousand-plus,” he said. “If the weather is not so good, that number can go to around 400 or 500.”
For people who wish to stay indoors, Lakeside Mall, 14000 Lakeside Circle, will host Halloween Kids Fest for families 11 a.m.-2p.m. Oct. 26. It will feature games, a costume contest, a DJ and more. Mall trick-or-treating will start at 2 p.m. while supplies last. Learn more by calling (586) 247-4131.
The Sterling Heights Parks and Recreation Department will hold its 37th annual Children’s Halloween Party 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at the Parks and Recreation Center, 40620 Utica Road. Admission is free. Learn more at www.myshpr.net or by calling (586) 446-2700.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi