Looking back: Generational drug store
Published January 4, 2014
Source: photo submitted by James Tong, Berkley Historical Museum
In 1946, Baker’s Drug Store moved into this building, located at 2600 W. 12 Mile Road, in Berkley.
In 1959, Raymond Lewis Baker sold the business to Max Millman, Milton Abramson and Harold Elias. Millman’s son, James, became a pharmacist and later took over the business.
On May 24, 2007, James Millman closed the store and donated a sizeable collection of historical drugs and prescription-making equipment to the Berkley Historical Museum, where it is on permanent display.
James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling the book “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.
- 30 DAYS
- Drug court graduates share stories of struggle, hope - Warren
- Volunteers recognized by Community Round Table - Madison Heights
- Red Oaks Connector Trail officially open - Madison Heights
- Load up on information about truck driving - Metro Detroit
- Council chooses former councilman as interim finance director - Harper Woods
- Meet the falcons - Warren
- Art returns to the streets of Mount Clemens - Mount Clemens
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township
- Madison district plans next phase of consolidated campus - Madison Heights
- Young boy shot in head - Clinton Township