WarrenOctober 3, 2012
Fitzgerald High School put on lockdown
By Maria Allard
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — At press time, Warren police officers were investigating a threat that placed Fitzgerald High School on lockdown the afternoon of Sept. 26.
The lockdown began at approximately 12:40 p.m., and an all-clear was issued at 1:30 p.m. There were no injuries during the incident.
In a letter sent to parents on the same day, Fitzgerald Public Schools Superintendent Barbara VanSweden stated high school administrators were alerted to a potential threat to the safety of students and staff at FHS.
“After an initial investigation, the superintendent and FHS administration placed the school campus in a secured lockdown procedure,” VanSweden stated in the letter. “A lockdown procedure is enacted campus-wide when a potential threat toward students, staff or buildings is brought to our attention. During the lockdown, students and staff remain in classrooms, and an inspection of all areas of the school campus takes place.”
The Warren Police Department was immediately contacted, and a investigation was conducted. After it was determined there was no longer a threat of danger, the lockdown was lifted, and students were released.
VanSweden did not comment on the nature of the threat.
“The Warren Police Department are investigating the threat at this time so no details are available,” she said in an email.
“The Warren Police Department is conducting a follow-up investigation in partnership with the district to resolve this matter,” the letter stated.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- Man charged for indecent exposure on Hall Road - Utica
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Hearing adjourned for driver in fatal crash - Warren
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi