WARREN — At press time, Warren police officers were investigating a threat that placed Fitzgerald High School on lockdown the afternoon of Sept. 26.
The lockdown began at approximately 12:40 p.m., and an all-clear was issued at 1:30 p.m. There were no injuries during the incident.
In a letter sent to parents on the same day, Fitzgerald Public Schools Superintendent Barbara VanSweden stated high school administrators were alerted to a potential threat to the safety of students and staff at FHS.
“After an initial investigation, the superintendent and FHS administration placed the school campus in a secured lockdown procedure,” VanSweden stated in the letter. “A lockdown procedure is enacted campus-wide when a potential threat toward students, staff or buildings is brought to our attention. During the lockdown, students and staff remain in classrooms, and an inspection of all areas of the school campus takes place.”
The Warren Police Department was immediately contacted, and a investigation was conducted. After it was determined there was no longer a threat of danger, the lockdown was lifted, and students were released.
VanSweden did not comment on the nature of the threat.
“The Warren Police Department are investigating the threat at this time so no details are available,” she said in an email.
“The Warren Police Department is conducting a follow-up investigation in partnership with the district to resolve this matter,” the letter stated.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township