WarrenOctober 14, 2013
Firefighters rescue two from apartment fire
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — Firefighters rescued two people from a balcony above a burning unit at an apartment complex on Frazho just east of Ryan early on Oct. 13.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said about 40 firefighters from Warren, Center Line and the U.S. Army Detroit Arsenal were sent to the scene after callers reported a fire and people possibly trapped at 4:20 a.m.
Frederick said two callers reported smoke and flames visible from a first-floor apartment in a building with a total of 16 units at the Warren Woods Apartments. He said fire was fed with oxygen after it spread through a picture window and up the side of the building.
Firefighters found fire in the vestibule area of the building when they arrived at the scene.
“They rescued people off the second-story balcony. Everybody else got out,” Frederick said. “There was one minor injury to an occupant. He had a cut on his leg. He was treated at the scene.”
Frederick said a Center Line firefighter was also injured and transported to St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital where he required stitches for a cut on his hand.
Firefighters remained at the scene for more than three hours while crews from Sterling Heights, Roseville and Eastpointe handled calls routed to Warren fire stations through emergency dispatch.
Two first-floor units in the apartment building were destroyed and an additional six suffered smoke damage.
Frederick said the cause of the fire was still undetermined Oct. 14.
“I just have to give credit to the Warren firefighters. They did a great job with the rescue and containing the fire to just the two units,” Frederick said. “They saved that whole building, and then all the other help we got from the other cities.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi