Firefighters rescue three people trapped in rollover crashes
By Terry Oparka
August 5, 2013
Firefighters extricated three people trapped in their vehicles after rollover crashes Aug. 4 and 5.
Just after 5:30 p.m. Aug. 4, firefighters were dispatched to Wattles, east of Rochester, on a report of a car crash and two people trapped inside a vehicle that had rolled over. After stabilizing the vehicle with jacks to prevent it from moving, firefighters used the Jaws of Life and hydraulic cutters to extricate both people, according to fire officials.
Alliance Mobile Health removed the people from the vehicle and transported them to a hospital for further care. Troy Assistant Fire Chief David Roberts said there were no additional details available about their medical conditions at press time.
In a separate incident, at 9:15 a.m. Aug. 5, firefighters were dispatched to a rollover collision at Long Lake and Investment Drive and discovered a small SUV/crossover-style vehicle on its roof with a woman trapped inside, seat-belted and hanging upside down, according to reports.
Firefighters stabilized the SUV with jacks and used the Jaws of Life and hydraulic cutters to extricate the woman, according to reports. Roberts said she was conscious and alert. Alliance Mobile Health transported her to a hospital for treatment. Roberts had no additional information about her medical condition at press time.
The driver of the second vehicle involved in the crash was out of that vehicle and did not appear to be injured, according to reports. The eastbound lanes of Long Lake were closed for about 30 minutes, Roberts said.
About the author
Staff Writer Terry Oparka covers Troy and the Troy School District for the Troy Times. Oparka has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2000 and attended Oakland University and Macomb Community College. Oparka has won an award from the Michigan Press Association and three awards from the Society of Professional Journalists, Detroit Chapter.
- 30 DAYS
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- City moves water contract to new authority - St. Clair Shores
- Group unveils tentative list of crash-prone intersections - Metro Detroit
- Two Muses finds new location in Waterford theater - West Bloomfield
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Police seek information on bank hit-and-run crash - Roseville
- Wreaths to be laid on hallowed ground Dec.12 - Metro Detroit
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville