Fashion show, luncheon benefit Longacre House
Published September 18, 2013
FARMINGTON HILLS — The Longacre House that sits a ways back from the street at 24705 Farmington Road is known for its posh, Victorian tea parties, weddings, music lessons, baby showers and a host of other popular community events that stretch back decades.
To continue upkeep of the historic house, a 44th annual fall fashion show and luncheon is set for Sept. 26 at the Glen Oaks Country Club, 30500 W. 13 Mile Road.
Doors open to a boutique at 10:30 a.m., and the luncheon and fashion show begin at noon.
The Clothing Cove in Milford will provide women’s fashions. The Gap Orchard Place will provide children’s fashions.
Tina Jensen, Longacre House volunteer and co-fashion chair, said the event is a perfect way for attendees to reconnect as summer ends.
“It is just a fun day for ladies — what can I say?” Jensen said. “Everybody likes to get back together in the fall; they like to support the house. A lot of people love Longacre for the teas.”
Proceeds from the show will go toward restoration of the house, to bridge the gap when city funds are not available.
Longacre was originally built in 1869, according to a city press release. It is a Georgian-style mansion the city acquired in 2006.
Jensen said the annual fashion show typically nets $7,000 or more.
Recently, the city updated the house’s air-conditioning units, among other repairs.
This year, several parts of the house were re-carpeted, including the upstairs hallway, the entryway and other areas. Other renovations include updating the library’s carpet, and replacing curtains and lamps that were several years old.
“We want to keep restoring it and making it better all the time and making it appealing,” Jensen said. “It is important because it is part of the community.”
She added that the house renovation wish list includes upgrading the dining room.
“That is something we hope to do this year,” she said.
Tickets to the 44th annual fall fashion show are $40. People may charge tickets by calling (248) 477-8404 or mailing checks made out to “Friends of the Parks” to The Longacre House, 24705 Farmington Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48336.
The fashion show is sponsored by Friends of the Parks, a nonprofit community service organization that sponsors projects that promote and enhance the city of Farmington Hills’ park system.
For more information on the Longacre House, go to www.longacrehouse.org.
- 30 DAYS
- Wading through uncertainty - Ferndale
- Voters say no to Proposal 1 - Metro Detroit
- Birmingham Public Schools bond approved - Birmingham
- The Riviera opens with special effects - Farmington Hills
- Grosse Pointe Schools chooses its new superintendent - Grosse Pointes
- School bond fails in Lake Shore - St. Clair Shores
- Bloomfield Hills Schools bond approved - Bloomfield Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson