Shelby Township, Sterling Heights, UticaJuly 29, 2013
Eisenhower holds basketball camp for young kids
By Eric Czarnik
C & G Staff Writer
The Utica Community Schools district has the perfect summer camp for kids who don’t plan to travel — at least on the court.
UCS Community Education is offering a three-day summer camp, Itty Bitty Basketball, July 30-Aug. 1 in the Eisenhower High School gym in Shelby Township.
In an email, district spokesman Tim McAvoy said the basketball camp has been offered for more than 10 years. “The camp is taught by Eisenhower basketball coaches and current varsity players,” he said.
According to camp director Kevin Donahue, the program is now entering its 11th year. Donahue said he originally started the program to help teach one of his sons how to play basketball, and he has since taught a younger son through the camp, too.
“I think it’s a great program,” he said. “It does a lot to help kids build a foundation for athletics. … There’s a lot of transfer value of what we give. It’s really over 90 percent on building skills.”
According to the school district, the camp will teach youngsters how to exercise their motor skills and hand-eye coordination so they can dribble, shoot and perform other aspects of the sport. Donahue said smaller basketballs and age-appropriate basketball hoops will make the experience more suitable.
When the kids are ready, they can play some one-on-one games or even play on small teams, he said.
“I think that for kids to participate and develop a healthy and active lifestyle, you have to have successes,” he said. “By getting them in the gym at a young age … it encourages them to continue to develop it and grow.”
According to Donahue, turnout varies depending on the year, ranging from around 120 at its peak to a more typical 40-60 students. The camp is open to boys and girls from kindergarten through third grade, and kids need not live in the district to participate.
“We have a lot of kids from Clinton Township, Romeo,” he said. “I had a girl from Fenton.”
The Itty Bitty Basketball camp will run 9-11:30 a.m. July 30-Aug. 1 at Eisenhower High School, 6500 25 Mile Road, in Shelby Township. Admission is $70. Space is limited. Learn more by calling (586) 797-6900.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- Christmas Bird Count draws near - Macomb County
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- FPS superintendent retires - Farmington
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi