WARREN — The driver in a single-car crash that killed 20-year-old Kimber Mao, of Detroit, remained in custody facing possible criminal charges Nov. 19.
According to Warren Police Lt. Heidi Metz, a 35-year-old man from Farmington Hills man was behind the wheel of a 2007 Subaru Imprezza that left the roadway and collided with a tree and a utility pole at about 12:30 a.m. Nov. 17.
The man was not named pending a decision on the charges and his arraignment in the 37th District Court.
“The vehicle was traveling westbound on 12 Mile. It was spotted by a witness who saw it go past him at a high rate of speed,” Metz said. “The witness then saw the vehicle’s tail lights leave the roadway. When he got closer, he saw that it hit a pole and a tree.”
Metz said Mao had been in the rear seat but was ejected from the vehicle. She was transported to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak where she later died.
The front-seat passenger, a 23-year-old Taylor man, was also taken to the hospital where he was treated for a broken leg.
Metz said the driver was transported to the hospital where he was examined, released and taken into custody.
Investigators were reportedly working with Macomb County prosecutors to obtain criminal warrants Nov. 18.
Metz said “definitely speed was a factor” but that detectives were still attempting to determine whether the driver had been drinking.
She declined to say where the occupants of the vehicle had been immediately before the crash, citing the ongoing investigation.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores