WarrenApril 9, 2013
Driver charged in fatal crash at Nine Mile and Ryan
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — A driver who police alleged blew through a red light at Nine Mile and Ryan late last month and collided with another truck, killing a 54-year-old Warren man, is now facing the charge of reckless driving causing death.
According to Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills, Johnnie Derek Rogers, 35, of Detroit, was formally arraigned at the hospital on the charge, a 15-year felony.
Court records indicate Judge Matthew Sabaugh arraigned Rogers in the hospital March 28.
Police said Rogers had been under guard prior to his release from the hospital. He was transferred to the Macomb County Jail, where he remained held on a $1 million bond ahead of a preliminary examination scheduled for 8:45 a.m. April 9 before Judge Dean Ausilio in the 37th District Court.
Police said the man killed in the crash was driving west on Ryan through a green light at the intersection when his 1989 Ford truck was apparently broadsided by a 2010 Dodge Ram driven by Rogers.
Rogers allegedly drove through the left turn lane to avoid traffic stopped at the light in both southbound lanes of Ryan. He allegedly entered the intersection at a high rate of speed and collided with the victim’s Ford truck, causing the truck to roll over and strike a utility pole.
The victim was alone in the Ford truck when the collision occurred.
Two passengers in the Ram truck driven by Rogers were also taken to the hospital, where they were treated and released.
Mills said Rogers had no apparent reason to run the light.
Alcohol was believed to be a factor, according to a release issued by the Warren Police Department.
Rogers has requested court-appointed legal counsel, according to court records.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi