Clinton TownshipAugust 20, 2012
Driver charged in fatal accident with motorcycles
By Nico Rubello
C & G Staff Writer
An SUV driver was arrested and charged with allegedly causing a three-car, three-motorcycle crash in Clinton Township that took the lives of two motorcyclists.
The crash occurred shortly before 11 p.m. on Aug. 17 near the intersection of southbound Gratiot and Metropolitan Parkway.
Police said a preliminary investigation revealed that the crash occurred when a pack of three motorcycles traveling south on Gratiot was rear-ended from behind by an SUV, which also was southbound.
One of the motorcycles catapulted into another southbound vehicle before going down. That vehicle then hit a minivan in another lane.
The second motorcyclist went down during the collision, and the third motorcyclist appeared to maintain control and stay upright, the statement added.
The deceased motorcyclists were identified only as a 58-year-old man and a 47-year-old woman, both from Roseville. Another motorcyclist was hospitalized.
Police believe alcohol may be a factor in a crash. As of Aug. 18, the SUV driver, an unidentified 45-year-old man, was charged with two felony counts of operating while impaired, causing death.
Police have urged any witnesses to the crash to call the Police Department at (586) 493-7901.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi