Drawing causes Dakota lockdown amid already increased security
December 21, 2012
MACOMB TOWNSHIP — Dakota High School was placed on lockdown Dec. 18 for about an hour after a threatening drawing was found on a bathroom wall.
Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said Dakota administration placed the school on lockdown after a student discovered a drawing of a gun with the words “bang, bang” written next to it.
Investigators did a quick search of the school but turned up no actual threat.
“We went on scene, and again, we’ve been dealing with these for many, many years,” Wickersham said. “Now what we’re trying to do is figure out who did the drawing.”
The threat came amid already increased district-wide security, following the Newtown, Conn., shooting on Dec. 14. Wickersham did not believe the drawing was linked to the Connecticut shooting.
“It’s poor timing, if you ask me,” he said. “But we’ve had, again, ever since (the school shooting in Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., in 1999) different graffiti and writing on walls inside schools.”
Diane Blain, the director of school and community relations at Chippewa Valley Schools, said students were told to remain in their classrooms until the end of the school day, but they were allowed to walk around the classroom.
“We want parents and students to know we take it seriously, whenever we find something like that,” Blain said.
CVS Superintendent Ronald Roberts said district administrators met the weekend following the shooting to discuss their security response.
“As administrators, we are faced with challenges all the time, and sometimes challenges take a turn that are hard to imagine,” Roberts said at the Dec. 17 board meeting. “And this was one for everyone.”
Throughout last week, the district closed all perimeter doors throughout the school day, according to a CVS email to parents. The district used substitute teachers to monitor the schools’ main entrances. At the entrance, visitors were asked to show identification before being allowed to enter the building and were asked the purpose of their visit.
All classroom doors were locked while in session, and there was no outdoor recess for the week. Roberts told the Chronicle that there was no decision on when the extra security would be lifted.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township