Dad poses as daughter, apprehends alleged predator
Published April 29, 2013
An Eastpointe man is charged with child sexually abusive activity after attempting to meet up with a 13-year-old Detroit girl he met on Facebook.
Michael Starr, 22, is charged with one count of child sexually abusive activity, two counts of using a computer to communicate with another to commit a crime and accosting a minor for immoral purposes.
According to the complaint filed by Wayne County Prosecutor Kim Worthy, Starr contacted the girl multiple times on Facebook, eventually suggesting they meet and engage in sex. However, the message was intercepted by the girl’s father, who decided to take an offensive approach and, pretending to be his daughter, began sending messages and eventually agreed to meet for sex.
Still acting as his daughter, the father provided their home address in the 8600 block of Plainview and set up a time to meet. Starr reportedly showed up as planned, except instead of a minor child waiting for him, it was an angry father who apprehended Starr and held him until police arrived.
Starr was arrested at the scene and arraigned April 7 in 36th District Court in Detroit. A preliminary exam scheduled for April 16 was postponed to 1:30 p.m. June 10. According to 36th District Court records, Starr had not been assigned a public defender and no attorney was on record at press time.
Calls to Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Maria Miller, the director of communications at the Prosecutor’s Office, were not returned at press time.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe