An Eastpointe man is charged with child sexually abusive activity after attempting to meet up with a 13-year-old Detroit girl he met on Facebook.
Michael Starr, 22, is charged with one count of child sexually abusive activity, two counts of using a computer to communicate with another to commit a crime and accosting a minor for immoral purposes.
According to the complaint filed by Wayne County Prosecutor Kim Worthy, Starr contacted the girl multiple times on Facebook, eventually suggesting they meet and engage in sex. However, the message was intercepted by the girl’s father, who decided to take an offensive approach and, pretending to be his daughter, began sending messages and eventually agreed to meet for sex.
Still acting as his daughter, the father provided their home address in the 8600 block of Plainview and set up a time to meet. Starr reportedly showed up as planned, except instead of a minor child waiting for him, it was an angry father who apprehended Starr and held him until police arrived.
Starr was arrested at the scene and arraigned April 7 in 36th District Court in Detroit. A preliminary exam scheduled for April 16 was postponed to 1:30 p.m. June 10. According to 36th District Court records, Starr had not been assigned a public defender and no attorney was on record at press time.
Calls to Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Maria Miller, the director of communications at the Prosecutor’s Office, were not returned at press time.
- 30 DAYS
- City stunned by loss of councilman - St. Clair Shores
- Three house fires reported in one day in Harper Woods - Harper Woods
- Pit bull awareness effort to benefit Madison Heights Animal Shelter - Madison Heights
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Halloween coming early to Red Oaks Nature Center, Golf Course - Madison Heights
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores