Clinton TownshipJanuary 21, 2013
Clinton Township woman dies from fire injuries
By Nico Rubello
C & G Staff Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — A Clinton Township woman passed away Jan. 18 due to injuries sustained from a fire that morning at her home on Biland Drive, according to the Clinton Township Fire Department.
The decedent, Loreena Mary Minaudo, 59, authored books about her experiences with cerebral palsy. She was also the inspiration behind Loreena’s Law, a 2005 state law that allows someone who cannot sign their name because of a disability to legally use their thumbprint instead.
Fire department personnel were dispatched around 6:45 a.m. to the home after receiving the fire call from the alarm company, said Clinton Township Fire Marshal Steve Conroy. The alarm company also phoned her nephew, who lived around the corner and, getting to the home first, got her outside, he said.
Paramedic-trained firefighters arriving on the scene focused foremost on trying to save the severely injured woman’s life, with two firefighters accompanying an ambulance to McLaren Macomb hospital in Mount Clemens, Conroy said. She was then transported to Detroit Receiving Hospital, where she passed away later that afternoon, he said.
The point of origin was found to be in the kitchen, though the cause remained under investigation as of Jan. 21, Conroy said. There was substantial damage to the rear of the home.
No one else was in the home at the time, and there was no damage to any surrounding homes, he added.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi