Clinton police arrest alleged shooter
Posted May 7, 2013
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — What prompted the May 5 fatal shooting of a 24-year-old Clinton Township man was not clear at press time, but what is for sure is that the man was fatally shot in the chest on the basketball court at Clinton Township’s Prince Drewry Park.
According to one longtime family friend of the deceased, the alleged shooter and victim believed to be involved in the incident used to be friends.
“They were going back and forth about an incident that had occurred last year,” said Yolanda McCoy, a longtime family friend of the decedent’s mother. “They started out as friends.”
McCoy, a Roseville resident, said she did not know the specifics of the argument, but said she had known both men as children.
Clinton Township investigators allege that Terry Lamont Wilson Jr., 20, of Clinton Township, shot Willie Dion Clark, 24, of Clinton Township, once in the chest around 6:50 p.m. on the park’s basketball court. Prince Drewry Park is located next to Robbie Hall Parker Elementary School on Quinn Road, east of Gratiot.
Clinton Township Det. Capt. Richard Maierle said his department and U.S. Marshals Service tracked Wilson down and, with assistance from the Battle Creek police, arrested him around 8:45 p.m. May 8 at a housing complex in Battle Creek, where he was staying with a cousin. Wilson was denied bond during a May 9 arraignment in 41-B District Court, according to the court. A preliminary examination is scheduled for May 22.
Two others were arrested for harboring a fugitive, Maierle said.
Maierle said police interviews revealed varying accounts as to what ultimately prompted the shooting. But whatever the case, an argument reportedly ensued that evening and Wilson allegedly shot Clark once in the chest before fleeing the scene.
After the shooting, Clark’s brothers took him to McLaren Macomb hospital in Mount Clemens, where he was pronounced dead on arrival, Maierle said.
There were reportedly about 20 to 30 other people in the park at the time, including Clark’s 2-year-old child and two brothers. Clark was one of 10 children, McCoy said.
McCoy said the 24-year-old Clark had lived his entire life in the neighborhood surrounding the Quinn Road park, even attending Robbie Hall Parker during his elementary school days, she said. Clark had two children, ages 5 and 2, she added.
The evening following the shooting, on May 6, friends and family held a candlelight vigil for Clark at the park.
Wayne County Circuit Court records show that Wilson was released from a two-year probation term in July 2012 for a 2010 charge of breaking and entering a vehicle, with damage to the vehicle.
Wilson already had one warrant out at the time of the shooting for an alleged probation violation, Maierle said.
This is first shooting-related death in Clinton Township since December 2011, when a 23-year-old Highland Park man was lured to an apartment complex and shot in a robbery gone wrong. The two culprits were found guilty by a jury for the crime and sentenced to life in prison.
Anyone with information is asked to call Clinton Township police at (586) 493-7847 or (586) 493-7840.
More from C & G Newspapers
Macomb County / Warren
Warren / Macomb County