Clinton man rescues neighbor from fire
By Nico Rubello
C & G Staff Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Nicholas Thomas always wondered how he would react in the face of danger.
“It is something I have thought about my entire life,” he said. “What would happen if you ever were driving by, and there was a car flipped over and it was on fire? Would you get out and help that person?”
The 34-year-old Clinton Township resident got his answer around noon on Oct. 30, when his neighbor’s daughter began frantically knocking on the door of his home on Arlington Drive, looking for help.
“She was screaming, ‘My house is on fire! My house is on fire! Help me save my family,’” Thomas said.
A grease fire had broken out in their home, and the woman’s mother had fallen and been knocked unconscious, according to police reports. Both his neighbor’s daughters and their young children were able to escape from the home.
“All I kept thinking about were those babies, and that woman I had talked to almost on a daily basis,” she said. “How could I just not help them?”
At that point, Thomas said, his adrenaline took over because, despite a debilitating spine condition that requires him to use a cane, he risked his own safety to go into the home, which, by the time he entered, was filled with a foul, black smoke that made it almost impossible to see or breathe.
“Just because I’ve never been in that home before, walking in with zero visibility, it was a guessing game. Where do you start?” he added.
He used his fire extinguisher to put out the fire, which had spread to the carpet and up the wall.
After stepping outside to breathe, he found out from them that the mother, Pam Sanders, was still unconscious in the house. So he went back in, threw Sanders over his right shoulder and carried her to his house.
Thomas’ wife, Jessica, who had worked as a patient homecare technician, was home at the time. Thomas said he then had his wife call 911 and went back to the house with another fire extinguisher to make sure the fire was out.
It was then that he began to feel the toll the activity had on his back, which he was still feeling days afterward. But the situation had developed so quickly, he never had time to consider not helping.
“I felt like the only option was to just do this, and if I collapse, I collapse,” he said. “I don’t know how I did it.
“Normally I have a hard time moving boxes.”
Though Thomas isn’t looking for recognition, Clinton Township police have nominated him for a citizen award, said Clinton Township Police Capt. Bruce Wade.
Wade said, although people should always try to act in the safest manner possible, some are willing to go the extra mile when an emergency arises.
“You really have to take your hat off to someone who’s willing to put their own safety in jeopardy to bring (someone else) to safety,” the police captain added.
Since the fire, Sanders has been living in a hotel, due to the fire damage. She also has had a cough because of smoke inhalation. But her doctor told her she likely would have died, had she been in the smoke an extra five minutes, she said.
“Words can’t even express the gratitude that me and my family have toward him (for) getting me out of the house,” Sanders added. “Without him, I would not be here.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- City purse snatcher still at large - Grosse Pointe City
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Former Berkley mayor offers to repair clock she donated to city - Berkley
- Helping Hands for Hunger food drive helps Norup students - Oak Park
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi