WarrenAugust 21, 2012
City preps for Birthday Bash
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
In addition to the ongoing activities beginning at 4 p.m. Aug. 23, the full schedule of events and performances this year includes:
Thursday, Aug. 23
7 p.m. — Clown Idol”
9 p.m. — “The Wizard of Oz” movie/costume contest
Friday, Aug. 24
4:30 p.m. — Stray Dogz
7:30 p.m. — Jack Scott
9:10 p.m. — Fireworks, Sponsored by
Henry Ford Macomb
9:30 p.m. — Alan Turner
Saturday, Aug. 25
4:00 p.m. — Acoustic Brothers
7:00 p.m. — The Coasters
9:00 p.m. — Laser Light Show, sponsored
by Michigan Lottery
9:30 p.m. — Monkey Grinder
Sunday, Aug. 26
Noon to 6:30 p.m. — Ukrainian Entertainment
7:00 p.m. — Rock Star
WARREN — The city will celebrate its 55th birthday Aug. 23-26 with four days of events, music, food and fun in the city’s Civic Center.
Warren Parks and Recreation Director Henry Bowman said a full slate of events — highlighted by fireworks at dusk on Friday, Aug. 24; a performance by The Coasters at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 25; and Ukrainian entertainment from noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 26 — were scheduled to be held at City Square Park.
“We’re really happy with the Birthday Bash. We’re proud that our headliner on Saturday night is the original Coasters,” Bowman said. “Friday night we have Jack Scott, followed by fireworks. And the biggest thing that we really like, with our fireworks and the whole program, almost all the entertainment has a local feel to it.”
The bash will begin on Thursday, Aug. 23 with “Clown Idol” at 7 p.m.
After that, Bowman said crowds would be treated to an outdoor showing of “The Wizard of Oz” and a character costume contest.
A petting zoo, sponsored by Concentra Urgent Care, and a carnival will be held over all four days; racing pigs will entertain crowds Friday through Sunday; and Saturday will feature the popular “Touch a Truck” event for children.
There will also be a laser light show at 9 p.m. on Saturday.
Bowman said event sponsorships paid for the entire four days of events.
The Coasters, a 1950s-era R&B group, join the list of headliners for Warren’s Birthday Bash in recent years.
The Tubes, The Rascals, The Shades of Blue, Mitch Ryder and Kellie Pickler performed during previous years for the city’s birthday celebration.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing Southfield man found dead in Sterling Heights field - Sterling Heights
- Police continue to investigate woman’s death - Warren
- Feds take over bank robbery cases - Roseville
- Looking Back: Harper Woods High School - Harper Woods
- Project Blue Light honors fallen officers - Hazel Park
- Supporting the rescues that save lives - Metro Detroit
- Café concert to benefit local animal rescue - Madison Heights
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Special needs program receives $10,000 grant for iPads - Hazel Park
- Mount Clemens man accused of sexually assaulting daughters - Mount Clemens
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Community gets ready for 38th annual Grosse Pointe Santa Claus Parade Nov. 29 - Grosse Pointe City
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time