WarrenFebruary 21, 2013
Charges pending after crash seriously injures two
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
Warren police said the driver of an SUV that crashed near Eight Mile Road and Hoover Feb. 20 was expected to face criminal charges for driving an illegally tagged vehicle with a suspended license and without insurance.
According to Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills, two rear-seat passengers were ejected from the 22-year-old Detroit woman’s 2002 GMC Jimmy when she apparently lost control on westbound Eight Mile, careened into the median and struck several trees west of Hoover at about 2 p.m.
Mills said all four occupants, including the driver and a front-seat passenger, were transported to the hospital. Both rear seat passengers, an 18-year-old Detroit man and a 22-year-old Detroit man, suffered injuries described as serious but not life threatening.
The driver and another 22-year-old Detroit woman, the front-seat passenger, were released at the hospital.
“She (the driver) said she lost control of her vehicle and that she just recently had an axle fixed that was broken,” Mills said. “When she lost control of the vehicle, she was unable to regain control.”
No other vehicles were involved in the crash.
Mills said the Jimmy left the roadway at a high speed and drove onto the grassy median where it struck several trees.
He said the woman allegedly was driving on a suspended license. The charge of driving with a suspended license causing serious injury is a five-year felony in Michigan.
Police alleged the vehicle was also not insured and that it had fraudulent license plate tabs.
It was not immediately clear when charges would be filed in the case.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi