Warren police said the driver of an SUV that crashed near Eight Mile Road and Hoover Feb. 20 was expected to face criminal charges for driving an illegally tagged vehicle with a suspended license and without insurance.
According to Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills, two rear-seat passengers were ejected from the 22-year-old Detroit woman’s 2002 GMC Jimmy when she apparently lost control on westbound Eight Mile, careened into the median and struck several trees west of Hoover at about 2 p.m.
Mills said all four occupants, including the driver and a front-seat passenger, were transported to the hospital. Both rear seat passengers, an 18-year-old Detroit man and a 22-year-old Detroit man, suffered injuries described as serious but not life threatening.
The driver and another 22-year-old Detroit woman, the front-seat passenger, were released at the hospital.
“She (the driver) said she lost control of her vehicle and that she just recently had an axle fixed that was broken,” Mills said. “When she lost control of the vehicle, she was unable to regain control.”
No other vehicles were involved in the crash.
Mills said the Jimmy left the roadway at a high speed and drove onto the grassy median where it struck several trees.
He said the woman allegedly was driving on a suspended license. The charge of driving with a suspended license causing serious injury is a five-year felony in Michigan.
Police alleged the vehicle was also not insured and that it had fraudulent license plate tabs.
It was not immediately clear when charges would be filed in the case.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- No charges for customer who shot accused bank robber - Warren
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Residents, businesses honored for beautification - St. Clair Shores
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township