Follow C & G News on Facebook Follow C & G News on Twitter Google+ Pinterest feed Connect to the C & G RSS feed

Current Weather


Shelby Township, Warren

Man charged after crash on Van Dyke

July 18, 2013

A 27-year-old Shelby Township man faces felony charges after the Jeep he was driving reportedly crossed the left turn lane on Van Dyke at Chicago Road in Warren July 17 and struck a motorcycle head-on, resulting in the death of its operator.

Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said 58-year-old Timothy Lynch, of Washington Township, was heading home northbound on Van Dyke from his job at the U.S. Army’s Detroit Arsenal shortly after 5:30 p.m. when he was struck by a 2005 Jeep driven by Shawn Michael Fontyn.

Fontyn was arraigned in the 37th District Court July 19 before Judge Matthew Sabaugh on charges of driving with a suspended license causing death and leaving the scene of a fatal accident, both 15-year felonies.

Mills said Fontyn’s Jeep was going south on Van Dyke when it crossed the center turn lane and struck Lynch’s Honda motorcycle in the northbound lane closest to the center of the roadway.

“The motorcyclist was hit head-on, catapulted over the defendant’s vehicle and landed on the curb lane of traffic where he was struck by another motorist,” Mills said. “The driver of the Jeep fled on foot and was apprehended in the bushes by the Royalty House.”

Mills said the Jeep also struck another vehicle and then caught fire at the scene of the crash, but that no other injuries were reported.

“It’s sad that a person has lost his life. The Warren Police Department is aggressively investigating what may have been the cause of the accident,” Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said. “It’s unfortunate that another person was traumatized. You’ve got a deceased person. You’ve got innocent people that are involved in it. It’s a tragic situation.”

Fontyn was scheduled to be back in court for a preliminary examination at 8:45 a.m. July 30 before Judge Dean Ausilio. He remained held in the Macomb County Jail July 22 with bail set at $300,000.

His attorney, James Galen, could not be reached for comment at press time.

For more local news coverage, see the following newspaper:


Most Popular

You May Be Interested In