A 27-year-old Shelby Township man faces felony charges after the Jeep he was driving reportedly crossed the left turn lane on Van Dyke at Chicago Road in Warren July 17 and struck a motorcycle head-on, resulting in the death of its operator.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said 58-year-old Timothy Lynch, of Washington Township, was heading home northbound on Van Dyke from his job at the U.S. Army’s Detroit Arsenal shortly after 5:30 p.m. when he was struck by a 2005 Jeep driven by Shawn Michael Fontyn.
Fontyn was arraigned in the 37th District Court July 19 before Judge Matthew Sabaugh on charges of driving with a suspended license causing death and leaving the scene of a fatal accident, both 15-year felonies.
Mills said Fontyn’s Jeep was going south on Van Dyke when it crossed the center turn lane and struck Lynch’s Honda motorcycle in the northbound lane closest to the center of the roadway.
“The motorcyclist was hit head-on, catapulted over the defendant’s vehicle and landed on the curb lane of traffic where he was struck by another motorist,” Mills said. “The driver of the Jeep fled on foot and was apprehended in the bushes by the Royalty House.”
Mills said the Jeep also struck another vehicle and then caught fire at the scene of the crash, but that no other injuries were reported.
“It’s sad that a person has lost his life. The Warren Police Department is aggressively investigating what may have been the cause of the accident,” Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said. “It’s unfortunate that another person was traumatized. You’ve got a deceased person. You’ve got innocent people that are involved in it. It’s a tragic situation.”
Fontyn was scheduled to be back in court for a preliminary examination at 8:45 a.m. July 30 before Judge Dean Ausilio. He remained held in the Macomb County Jail July 22 with bail set at $300,000.
His attorney, James Galen, could not be reached for comment at press time.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Court pushes back exam dates for crash survivors - Romeo
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Experts weigh in on the proper use of roundabouts - Southfield
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit