Following national trends, property crime in the city of Troy decreased in 2012.
Nationally, according to statistics the FBI released last week, property crimes in the U.S. decreased by just under 1 percent.
In Troy, property crime also decreased from 2011 to 2012, with the exception of arson, which increased from seven incidents to 14.
Larceny/theft makes up most of the property crime in Troy.
Troy Police Sgt. Andy Breidenich said that Troy attributes the number of property crimes, which includes shoplifting, in the city to its large retail presence.
Following the national trend where the number of burglaries dropped 3.7 percent, in Troy, burglaries dropped from 236 in 2011 to 181 in 2012.
There were two murders in the city of Troy in 2012 and none in 2011.
“Both were solved,” Breidenich noted.
Kenneth Michael Little stands charged with first-degree murder of his 3-month-old daughter, and Patrick Mikes Jr. was sentenced to 12-20 years in prison after he was charged with open murder and pleaded guilty but mentally ill to the second-degree murder of his father.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe