St. Clair Shores
Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash
Published November 12, 2013
A 47-year-old attorney has died after an accident on Harper Avenue at Shady Lane.
St. Clair Shores Police Officer Tom Price said a black Acura was traveling northbound on Harper Avenue at Shady Lane around 11:50 a.m. Nov. 9 when it rear-ended a silver Mercedes Benz, then continued on and struck a tree on the northeast corner of Harper Avenue and Shady Lane.
Price said both drivers were transported to the hospital.
The driver of the Acura, 47-year-old Corbett O’Meara of Grosse Pointe Farms, died from his injuries at the hospital.
The 62-year-old Eastpointe woman driving the Mercedes Benz is still in critical condition at the hospital, Price said.
Police don’t have many clues as to the cause of the accident, which is still under investigation, Price said.
“At the scene … he (O’Meara) wasn’t talking, he wasn’t able to give any leads or anything toward our investigation,” Price said.
O’Meara was the son of federal court Judge John Corbett O’Meara. He practiced as a lawyer for more than 12 years with Shulman and Associates in an office in the Guardian Building in Detroit.
“He was a dynamic attorney who was able to handle some of the most difficult and high profile criminal cases in state and federal courts,” said Sanford Schulman of Schulman and Associates in a statement. “He was a champion of the cause of justice and had a passion for social issues.”
Schulman said O’Meara leaves behind two sons and a daughter, parents, family and “many friends who will miss his energy and his ability to make a room light up in laughter.”
- 30 DAYS
- Brothers start nonprofit activity program for children with special needs - Ferndale
- Ride to explore sights of St. Clair Shores - St. Clair Shores
- BHS junior’s personal essay brings national writing recognition - Berkley
- Local families participate in kidney walk - Macomb Township
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Kyte Monroe Park rededicated to ensure coach’s legacy lives on - St. Clair Shores
- New Village bar and restaurant offers nod to Prohibition history - Grosse Pointe City
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township
- Madison district plans next phase of consolidated campus - Madison Heights
- Young boy shot in head - Clinton Township