Arson under investigation in Hazel Park
December 24, 2013
HAZEL PARK — Authorities continue to look for tips regarding an arson that occurred in Hazel Park earlier this month.
The arson occurred at a home in the 1400 block of East Elza, near Nine Mile and Dequindre, around 6:30 a.m. Dec. 6.
The house was unoccupied at the time. Since the home had been purchased and was in the process of being repaired, with plans to rent the place out, insurance fraud doesn’t appear to have been the motive, according to Hazel Park Fire Chief Mike Karschnia.
A neighbor called 911, regarding what she thought were sparking electrical wires. What she was really seeing was the heat from the fire. There were no wires involved.
At the source of the fire was a pile of debris, including a mattress, newspapers and other flammables.
“There was no reason for there to be a fire there,” Karschnia said.
The fire spread to a couple spots on the back of the house, torching the asbestos siding common in houses made before aluminum and vinyl became popular. While the damage is repairable, the cost is estimated to be in excess of $10,000.
“It burned up the side of the house, about as high as the doorwall, and a couple feet wide,” Karschnia said. “So it wasn’t a huge fire, but it did do damage to the building.”
Arson investigators from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Department have been working with the Hazel Park Fire Department on the case. Any witnesses to the crime are asked to come forward.
In the meantime, Karschnia asks residents to remain vigilant. He said the neighbor’s efforts here made all the difference in getting the fire under control.
“Arson fires aren’t common in Hazel Park, but they do happen sometimes,” Karschnia said. “So keep an eye out on things happening in your neighborhood, and if you see anything suspicious, call for help.”
The Hazel Park Fire Department can be reached at (248) 542-6000. The Hazel Park Police Department can be reached at (248) 542-6161.
About the author
Staff Writer Andy Kozlowski covers Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Madison District Public Schools, Lamphere Public Schools and Hazel Park Public Schools for the Madison-Park News.
- 30 DAYS
- Police warn residents of IRS phone scam - Clawson
- Fire Department seeks a few good men and women - Troy
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- Woman dies after police find her unresponsive in car - Royal Oak
- Downtown Birmingham rolls out new logo, holiday perks - Birmingham
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Holiday plays planned in Eastpointe - Eastpointe
- Ghost hunters report paranormal activity at Octagon House - Washington Township
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County