UticaJuly 20, 2012
Man linked to crimes in Sterling Heights, Roseville arrested following Utica robbery
By Brad D. Bates
C & G Staff Writer
Clinton Township police have arrested a man following an armed robbery that occurred July 16 in Utica.
The man is alleged to have robbed several other businesses across Macomb County, including one in Clinton Township and others in Sterling Heights, Chesterfield Township and Roseville prior to the Utica heist, surveillance footage and imagery from which helped law enforcement catch him.
Clinton Township police placed Steven Paul Champine, 55, of Chesterfield Township under arrest early July 19 after Utica police released video footage of his robbery of the Dollar Tree store at 13477 Hall Road.
“We got a tip on who he was, so we put it out to all the departments we were working together with and they did a little surveillance on him and he was arrested,” Utica Police Chief David Faber said, noting tips came in after the release of surveillance images from the Utica robbery.
“(Clinton township police) got him first, so they’ll be arraigning first, and then we’ll get our crack at him.”
Champine was set to be arraigned at 1:30 pm. July 20 in District Court 41-B in Clinton Township, and Faber said he expects Champine to be arraigned for the Hall Road robbery “early next week.”
At roughly 4 p.m. July 16, Champine was captured on video wearing a red baseball cap, plaid shirt, khaki shorts and sunglasses entering the Utica Dollar Tree store.
After entering the store, Champine covered his face with a red handkerchief and approached the cashier. He then drew a black pistol and demanded the money from the cash register.
“He just brandished the gun and demanded the money,” Faber said, noting that there were no injuries to any employees or customers at the store. “As soon as he got the money he left.”
Champine left the store with an undisclosed amount of money. Witnesses reported seeing an “older red vehicle,” which may have been a Ford Escort, fleeing the scene shortly after the robbery.
Video footage of Champine was also captured at a Dollar Tree location he robbed in Roseville.
“Originally, it was through physical description and the MO, then we confirmed it through video through one of the other robberies,” Faber said of connection to the other crimes.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi