Armed man detained outside Selfridge
By Julie Snyder
July 25, 2013
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — Military police detained an armed man outside Selfridge Air National Guard Base the evening of July 22, though whether he will face criminal charges remains unknown.
Michigan State Police troopers were dispatched to the scene shortly after 6:30 p.m. A preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect drove up to the main gate at 6 p.m., walked up to the security and announced that he had a weapon.
Upon arrival, state troopers learned that the suspect had been disarmed and was being held by Military Police. The suspect and loaded weapon, a .32 caliber, five-shot revolver, were then turned over to State Police.
Michigan State Police Lt. Mike Shaw said it appears that the suspect may have some mental health issues.
“Nothing about the man is being released right now because we’re not exactly sure if it was a medical issue,” said Shaw. “If there’s a mental health issue, we don’t release a person’s name or where the person is from.
“We’re kind of aiming in that direction (that the man may have a mental health issue) because just walking up and saying you have a gun is not a normal thing to do.”
He said the man was arrested, processed and released. He was later transported to a local hospital for evaluation.
Shaw said the incident remains under investigation.
About the author
Staff Writer Julie Snyder covers Harrison Township, Mount Clemens, Macomb County, L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, and Mount Clemens Community Schools for the Journal. She has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2003, and attended the University of Toledo with degrees in journalism and photography. Julie has received several awards for her work in Arizona and Washington, including AP awards in Arizona for breaking news reporting and feature writing.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights