Harrison TownshipJuly 25, 2013
Armed man detained outside Selfridge
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — Military police detained an armed man outside Selfridge Air National Guard Base the evening of July 22, though whether he will face criminal charges remains unknown.
Michigan State Police troopers were dispatched to the scene shortly after 6:30 p.m. A preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect drove up to the main gate at 6 p.m., walked up to the security and announced that he had a weapon.
Upon arrival, state troopers learned that the suspect had been disarmed and was being held by Military Police. The suspect and loaded weapon, a .32 caliber, five-shot revolver, were then turned over to State Police.
Michigan State Police Lt. Mike Shaw said it appears that the suspect may have some mental health issues.
“Nothing about the man is being released right now because we’re not exactly sure if it was a medical issue,” said Shaw. “If there’s a mental health issue, we don’t release a person’s name or where the person is from.
“We’re kind of aiming in that direction (that the man may have a mental health issue) because just walking up and saying you have a gun is not a normal thing to do.”
He said the man was arrested, processed and released. He was later transported to a local hospital for evaluation.
Shaw said the incident remains under investigation.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- WB board to petition governor for treasurer’s removal - West Bloomfield
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time - Ferndale
- Avoid holiday horror stories - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi