ROSEVILLE — Police are investigating the assault of a 16-year-old Roseville student, after four male suspects ambushed him when he got off the school bus Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 9.
It is believed his assaulters are the family members of a female classmate with whom he got into a verbal argument that morning on the way to school.
At press time, police said that they were still working to identify the four male attackers and the middle-aged woman who drove the getaway car, but they had reason to believe the woman driver was the girl’s mother and the attackers were her brothers, ranging in age from 17 to 20.
Several witnesses observed the incident, and reports from them indicate that the victim did nothing to instigate or provoke the attack, and the male suspects involved were waiting at his bus stop, at Kelly and Frazho roads, specifically for that purpose.
“He walked off the bus, they were waiting, grabbed him and started beating him,” said Roseville Police Chief James Berlin. “It was flat-out assault. He suffered several blows to the head, he had multiple cuts and bruises, and he’ll have a pretty good black eye.”
The suspects eventually fled the scene in a waiting car, when one of the witnesses announced that the police were on their way. The victim, whose parents were contacted after officers arrived on the scene, was taken to a nearby hospital, treated and released that night.
Still, Berlin said that “he was beaten up pretty bad,” and although he was not admitted to the hospital, he did suffer multiple minor injuries, and at the very least, the four suspects who did this to him will likely be charged with assault and battery.
“Assault and battery is the least serious assault charge they could face,” he said. “This was, by all indications, premeditated and they could face aggravated assault.”
The driver stands to face charges, as well.
“She might face the same charge; she brought them to the scene, watched as it happened, made no effort to stop them, and drove them away from the scene.”
As for the classmate of the victim, Berlin said he is unsure if she will face any charges and that there would have to be very clear proof that she propositioned the beating, in order to pursue charges against her. However, the four male suspects and the female driver will likely face charges soon.
Two of the suspects have been positively identified, but police are still in the process of confirming the identities of the other three suspects. Once their identifications are confirmed, they’ll seek approval for arrest warrants from the Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office. Despite having specific suspects in the case, detectives from the Roseville Police Department are still investigating and ask that any witnesses who have not yet spoken to the police come forward with any information that they have.
Call the Roseville Police Department at (586) 447-4475.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville