Sam’s Ferndale Grill was the site of a fire Dec. 18 that caused between $60,000 and $100,000 in damages, according to the Ferndale Fire Department.

Sam’s Ferndale Grill was the site of a fire Dec. 18 that caused between $60,000 and $100,000 in damages, according to the Ferndale Fire Department.

Photo by Mike Koury


Fire at Sam’s Ferndale Grill does at least $60,000 in damage

By: Mike Koury | Woodward Talk | Published December 27, 2017

 The fire originated in an office, which helped contain the fire away from the rest of the restaurant.

The fire originated in an office, which helped contain the fire away from the rest of the restaurant.

Photo provided by Brian Batten

FERNDALE — A fire at Sam’s Ferndale Grill likely caused between $60,000 and $100,000 in damage, according to the city’s fire marshal.

The fire, reported at around 10:22 p.m. Monday, Dec. 18, at the restaurant, 21468 Woodward Ave., started in an office and was described as “accidental” by Ferndale Fire Marshal Brian Batten.

“Fortunately, the office door was closed and blocked the fire,” he said. “Basically, the entire office contents were destroyed, but (there was) minor smoke damage throughout the building.”

The estimated losses, according to Batten, consist of the damage to the restaurant, the loss of business — because it will have to be closed for repairs — and the inventory loss.

Batten said the department was still looking into the cause of the fire as of press time last week.

“We have a couple scenarios that we’re working through,” he said. “We still have a couple people to talk to that closed that night. Other than that, it was a devastating fire. It’s the second fire … in about 13 years now. They had one in ’04, when I first became fire marshal, that destroyed the restaurant.”

Batten said the fire first was reported to the Fire Department after a police officer on patrol saw some smoke coming out of Sam’s. There was no one at the restaurant at the time.

“Our guys got in there with minimal damage to the building and did a really good stop on the fire, keeping basically the fire damage to the office,” he said.

Batten said he hopes the takeaway from the fire is that people and businesses make sure their fire extinguishers are up to date, their exit signs are lit and their fire suppression is taken care of.

He also noted that people should be careful of having a cluttered office, as he said so much stuff was in the office where the fire originated that a wire could have overheated because so much stuff was sitting on it. He said extension cords should not be under anything, should be able to handle the voltage of appliances, and should not be run through doorways, walls or ceilings.

“We just want to make sure people get the message about this,” he said.