Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway
December 4, 2013
Photo submitted by James Tong, Berkley Historical Museum
Coolidge Highway is seen here in 1926 looking north from 12 Mile Road in Berkley. The road had not yet been paved, so the Model T vehicles were lucky to drive on a surface that was dry and not swampy, as it often was.
The sign on the east side of Coolidge said that the property was for sale, land that is now part of the Roseland Park Cemetery. Early maps of Berkley indicated that Coolidge was slated to have houses on both sides.
Along with the lot, a buyer could get either 12 chickens or a tent.
James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.
- 30 DAYS
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Two Muses finds new location in Waterford theater - West Bloomfield
- Group unveils tentative list of crash-prone intersections - Metro Detroit
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Transit authority seeks public input on Gratiot changes - Eastpointe
- Teen center receives $10,000 grant for after-school program - Eastpointe
- Bank robbery suspect in police custody - Roseville
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville