Looking Back

Published July 26, 2016

ROYAL OAK — Volunteer Randy Burean believes something unique is happening next month at the city’s historical museum.

Two specialized exhibits will be on display, including a glimpse at Woodward Avenue through the decades.

Read More

Published July 20, 2016

The Oakland County Boat Club has been a part of Sylvan Lake history for over 100 years. At one time, community meetings for the Sylvan Lake City Council and the Sylvan Lake Garden Club were held at the club. The club is now a private, not-for-profit, social club.

The boat club embraces the community’s pride in long-established traditions. Fireworks on the Fourth of July weekend have been a tradition on Sylvan Lake for decades, and 2016 celebrated the 75th year of the Oakland County Boat Club putting them on.

Read More

Published July 20, 2016

Elsa Julia Moderson won the title of Miss Mount Clemens for the Macomb County Festival in 1928. Twenty of the city’s fairest were chosen from the city at large by the balloting of the Mt. Clemens Business and Professional Women’s Club and were judged by a committee composed of dramatists and artists. The list of entrants included both employed girls and home girls, students and others. They competed only in pictures that were judged by the committee at the Board of Commerce office. Women in the pictures were in full dress, not in bathing suits or scanty evening gowns.

Read More

Published July 13, 2016

July is the perfect time to sit back and enjoy an ice cream cone or sundae, and in Birmingham, there are lots of choices when it comes to icy summer treats.

That was true in the early 1900s as well. In 1915, Birmingham Creamery and Ice Manufacturing, founded by George W. Wood, first started to make and distribute ice cream. In 1917, it attracted further backers and capital to grow even more.

Read More

Published July 6, 2016

“The Michigan National Guard unit at the NIKE site in Shelby Township has donated a backstop to the Shelby-Utica Little League for the further development of the facilities at Ford Field. The donation was made possible when the government decided to install a new radar system in the middle of the ball diamond at the NIKE site. According to Sgt. William Curtis, the base personnel decided that they would donate the backstop to Shelby Township rather than have it destroyed.Read More

Published July 2, 2016

EASTPOINTE — Were you an Eastpointe or Roseville Rosie the Riveter, or do you know someone who has a story to tell about their time during the war?

Have any wartime artifacts or memorabilia that you would like to share?

If so, the Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society is all ears and would like to hear from you.

The society recently launched a program for the Military Technical & Historical Museum in Eastpointe to answer questions about Eastpointe and Roseville defense manufacturing activities, according to a press release.

Read More

Published June 29, 2016

DETROIT — For an arts and culture destination, the Scarab Club’s location — directly behind the Detroit Institute of Arts, at the corner of Farnsworth and John R streets — couldn’t be more perfect.

But despite being around for more than 100 years, Scarab Club members say many people still don’t know who or what they are, or that visitors are welcome.

Read More

Published June 22, 2016

GROSSE POINTE SHORES — Theirs was a love story worthy of the silver screen, and the romance of Edsel and Eleanor Ford has now been immortalized in sculpture.

Read More

Published June 22, 2016

GROSSE POINTE SHORES — Just in time for summer wedding season, the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House is sharing mementos and memories from several generations of Ford family nuptials.

“Down the Aisle: 100 Years of Ford Family Weddings” is a new exhibition in the South Cottage that features a number of wedding gowns, personal photos and other wedding memorabilia. Running June 26 through Nov. 6, it was timed to coincide with the 100th anniversary of Edsel and Eleanor Ford’s November 1916 wedding.

Read More

Published June 22, 2016

These photos briefly tell the tale of Washington Elementary School, which was the first school building in Van Dyke Public Schools. When Washington first began, it was a one-room wooden schoolhouse and handled grades one through eight. As the community grew, a new Washington Elementary was constructed in 1971 with a new library, learning center and three special education classrooms.

Washington was a starting ground for many programs helping special-needs students. Peggy Erity was the first speech therapist in VDPS.

Read More

Published June 22, 2016

This wonderful tea-time photograph is of members from the Woman’s National Farm and Garden Association. Mrs. Harold Stubbs is pouring tea for, from left, Mrs. Bert Vandevusse, Mrs. Leroy Clark, Mrs. Clayton Stubbs and Mrs. John Lungerhausen.

Read More

Published June 21, 2016

FERNDALE — The Ferndale City Council passed a resolution of condolence at its most recent meeting to remember and honor a significant Ferndale figure who passed away.

Read More

Published June 15, 2016

GROSSE POINTE SHORES — During the annual Blessing of the Fleet May 30 at the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club in Grosse Pointe Shores, U.S. Rep. Candice Miller, center, presented, from left, GPYC Commodore Tom Lauzon and Commodore James Martin with a plaque denoting the 102-year-old club’s entrance into the National Register of Historic Places. 

Read More

Published June 15, 2016

Law Enforcement has gone through many fascinating changes over the last 170 years in Birmingham. 

In 1846, Birmingham elected its first marshal, as required by law. At that time, Birmingham was only a small village with some outlying farms. Marshals had few responsibilities, and besides the occasional chicken thief or vagrant, crime was almost nonexistent. When needed, a back room at the National Hotel was used as a jail cell, but criminals would serve out their sentences in a Pontiac prison.

Read More

Published June 10, 2016

Zena Neigebaur is known to be the first female superintendent in the state of Michigan. She taught in Fitzgerald Public Schools from 1928 to 1939 before becoming superintendent of the district.

Read More

Published June 8, 2016

SYLVAN LAKE — The Sylvan Lake Memorial Day parade has been held since 1945. This photo was taken during the 1950 parade, and local Brownie troops gathered behind Daniel Whitfield School in preparation. The groups are holding flowers — often tulips or lilacs that were cut from the bushes in residents’ yards — that were then scattered on the lake by boats or an airplane. 

Read More

Published May 24, 2016

ROCHESTER — Families can travel back in time Memorial Day weekend during the Greater Rochester Heritage Days Festival.

The festival, according to event steering committee member Liz Golding, is designed to provide entertainment for the community and educate people on the heritage of the area, and it also serves as a fundraiser for many local nonprofits, which benefit from various sponsored food and vendor sales.

“There are really so many events that are going on. It’s a really family-friendly festival,” Golding said.

Read More

Published May 18, 2016

This pamphlet, titled “Facts Regarding the City of Birmingham,” from the Birmingham Museum’s collection, was published by the city of Birmingham in September 1939.

The pamphlet was distributed to residents, and it provided phone numbers and information for city management, departments, cultural institutions and city history. Birmingham had technically been a village until only shortly before the pamphlet was published, when the municipality took the big step to incorporate as a city.

Read More

Published May 16, 2016

This month’s photo is of Roseville’s interurban railway, which serviced communities between Mount Clemens and Detroit with passenger service from 1895 until 1930. This particular photo is undated and does not have a specific location listed. According to a city history document from the Roseville Public Library, the Rapid Railway Co. controlled interurban service during that time.

Read More

Published May 12, 2016

ORCHARD LAKE — Today, Apple Island is mostly wooded and natural, and a peaceful oasis in the midst of a bustling community. Many people are surprised to learn that people once lived on the island, even if only during the summers. Over a century ago, trees were cleared for farming, houses and outbuildings were constructed, and sometimes hired help lived on the island to work for the families who owned it. 

Read More

Upcoming Events

Macomb Township
St. Isidore fish fries
4-7 p.m.
St. Isidore Catholic Church
Ferndale
'Merrily We Roll Along'
ongoing
The Ringwald Theatre
St. Clair Shores
VFW fish fries
4-8 p.m.
VFW Bruce Post 1146
Warren
Church fish fries
4-8 p.m.
St. Stevan Decanski Church
Royal Oak
Presentation on the Interurban
7:30 p.m.
Royal Oak Historical Society Museum

MORE LISTINGS

ADD AN EVENT

FULL CALENDAR

Newsroom tweets

Tweets by C & G Newspapers journalists
Reporters' opinions are their own and retweets do not equal endorsements.