Looking Back

Published April 29, 2015

FRASER — The Baumgartner House is a historic staple in the city of Fraser, representing the age of yesteryear without all the technological advancements of today.


And 140 years later, the house still stands.


The Baumgartner House was built in 1875 by John and Samantha Baumgartner, who had moved to Macomb County in 1865. The house remains on the same parcel of land between Masonic and 14 Mile Road, to Kelly and Groesbeck.

Read More

Published April 22, 2015

Driving on Nine Mile Road during the flood of May 1948 was a challenge. In this image, two automobiles of various vintages are trying to pass each other in the middle of the road near the Dairy Bar. Without curbs and storm sewers to handle the water, the stores and houses were in the path of the wake left by passing vehicles.

Read More

Published April 22, 2015

Pictured is the front page of Warren Woods Tower High School’s The Legend student newspaper published in October 1984. The issue’s top stories — written by students — covered the approaching homecoming festivities, a feature on newly hired teachers at the school, and an update on the WWT yearbook staff.

Read More

Published April 15, 2015

C&G Newspapers

OAKLAND COUNTY — From catching criminals on horseback in the 1820s to using helicopters today, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office has maintained the same values it was founded on nearly two centuries ago, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said.


“It has really evolved, but the mission is the same: to have honorable men and women do all they can to make this a great community,” Bouchard said.

Read More

Published April 8, 2015

Written by Kim Parr, director of the Macomb County Historical Society and Crocker House Museum, located at 15 Union St., Mount Clemens, MI 48043, www.crockerhousemuseum.com.

Read More

Published April 7, 2015

ROSEVILLE — This month’s Looking Back photo is of the municipal building of Erin Township and the village of Roseville circa 1929. The building was constructed that year and served as the hub of government for years. It hosted the fire and police departments, the library and, eventually, the city government. At the time of its construction, Gratiot was still a single-lane road.

Read More

Published March 25, 2015

Fred Schott established a grocery and dry goods store on Utica Road, south of 14 Mile Road, in the early 1930s. His son, Alfred, later took over the business. Pictured is a winter scene of the Schott family by their Fraser home.

 

Photo and caption submitted by Alan Naldrett, Fraser Historical Society


 

Read More

Published March 25, 2015

This is a photograph of Del Reese, whose route to deliver dairy products for Miller Brothers Creamery included Mount Clemens and Utica.

Read More

Published March 11, 2015

EASTPOINTE — This month’s photo, taken during the 1940s, is of the original East Detroit municipal building. The building was located on Nine Mile Road just east of Gratiot Avenue, where the current police and court buildings are located.

Read More

Published March 11, 2015

ST. CLAIR SHORES — The Big Bear Market was located on Greater Mack on the site of present-day Great Lakes Ace Hardware. It was one of the first major grocery stores in St. Clair Shores. Big Bear Markets of Michigan operated 33 supermarkets. By 1957, Big Bear Market changed into a Wrigley store. The brief history of this market in St. Clair Shores comes with an interesting story about supermarket monopolies.

Read More

Published March 11, 2015

ROCHESTER — A watercolor painting by Rochester Hills resident William Steiner depicts the Detroit United Railway, known as the D.U.R., in 1900.

The painting shows the high-speed electrified interurban railway sharing Rochester’s Main Street with a horse and buggy.

According to Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm records, the D.U.R. traveled from Detroit to Rochester to Lake Orion and Flint. The travel time from Rochester to Detroit was under an hour, which is less than today’s rush-hour drive, museum officials said.

Read More

Published March 4, 2015

Former Berkley Police Chief Frank Irons, left center, and former Berkley Fire Chief Frank Hannah, right center, celebrate the arrival of a new fire truck in the early part of the 1950s with two other Berkley fire personnel.

The previous two trucks that the Berkley Fire Department purchased in the 1920s were no longer functioning and required that a new engine be purchased.

Today, the Berkley police and fire departments have combined to form the Berkley Public Safety Department.

Read More

Published February 11, 2015

ROSEVILLE — This month’s photo is of the Frank Biehl Sheetmetal & Electrical Work building on Gratiot Avenue in what is now Roseville, circa 1926.

The Biehl family lived in an apartment at the back of the building during the 1920s — note the side porch in the photograph — and Frank Biehl eventually became Roseville Village president.

Read More

Published February 11, 2015

In this photograph taken during the winter of 1959, Aaron Oswald waves from the wooden aqueduct that once carried the Clinton and Kalamazoo Canal across the Clinton River near Yates Mill. Work on the canal, which was to join Lake Michigan to Lake St. Clair across Lower Michigan, began in 1839. Only a 16-mile section from Mount Clemens to Rochester was completed before a lack of funds ended the canal project in 1844. The aqueduct started leaking soon after it was built around 1840 and continued to leak until it finally rotted away in the 1970s.

Read More

Published February 4, 2015

Berkley students and community members get ready for a bonfire during homecoming week in 1979. Berkley High School annually held a big bonfire every year on the night of homecoming.

The 1979 bonfire ended up being the final one, as the event was canceled due to safety concerns in the community.

James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling it as part of “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.

Read More

Published January 21, 2015

This month’s photograph is of the Kaiser Building, formerly located in Eastpointe on the southeast corner of Nine Mile and Gratiot. The basement of this building was used for the village of Halfway’s municipal offices, as well as for the city’s first library. The village of Halfway was the local government from 1924-1929, when it became the city of East Detroit. The photo itself is undated.

Read More

Published January 21, 2015

One of the earliest general stores in St. Clair Shores was located on Defer Road (now called Nine Mile Road) near Jefferson Avenue. It was operated by Otto Carl Henry Weber and William “Bill” Frasard. The store was built around 1914. Otto’s wife, Theresa, ran a boarding house on the second floor. Otto Weber’s World War I draft card from 1917 listed his occupation as a merchant in St. Clair Shores. The Weber family was living in Grosse Pointe Farms at that time.

Read More

Published January 14, 2015

The 1981-82 school year for the Holly Junior High School football team was the final one. That season, the Holly Stingers played against Page, Busch, Wilkinson, Wolfe, Clawson and Hickory junior high schools. Holly finished the season with 4 wins; 1 loss and 1 tie.

Read More

Published December 31, 2014

Roberta Vincent, 6, poses next to her family’s 1928 Packard motor car and their Pierce-Arrow camper at the Packard Proving Grounds in 1937. She was probably eagerly waiting for winter to be over and warmer weather to arrive so the family could go camping. Roberta’s father, Charles Vincent, was the Proving Grounds manager. His office was in the Repair Garage pictured here next to the car and camper. While the Vincent family was living in the Lodge at the Proving Grounds, they went camping Up North as often as Charles could get time away from his work.

Read More

Upcoming Events

Farmington Hills
Church movie night
7 p.m.
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Royal Oak
Stagecrafters presents 'Annie'
8:00 PM
Stagecrafters
Beverly Hills
Plant-based nutrition discussion
6:30-8:30 p.m.
Groves High School
Grosse Pointe Woods
Grosse Pointe South choir performance
7 p.m.
Christian A. Fenton Performing Arts Center
Sylvan Lake
Sylvan Lake citywide garage sale
9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Sylvan Lake City Hall

MORE LISTINGS

ADD AN EVENT

FULL CALENDAR

Newsroom tweets

Tweets by C & G Newspapers journalists
Reporters' opinions are their own and retweets do not equal endorsements.