Looking Back: Bicentennial commemoration signage installed

West Bloomfield Beacon | Published January 22, 2018

When Joseph Wampler and his crew of surveyors came through Oakland County in April 200 years ago, they found a landscape of forests, swamps and fields. It was largely undeveloped, but still inviting to the new settlers, who were edging toward Oakland County.

Wampler was hired by the surveyor general of the United States to lay out the boundaries of Bloomfield and Pontiac townships. The Bloomfield Township survey began on March 14, 1817, and was completed by mid-April. 

On April 4, 1817, Wampler noted in his field book that his crew had set a marker post at the point where the townships of Waterford, Pontiac, West Bloomfield and Bloomfield met. A survey post still marks the “Four Corners” location.

Wayside signage marking this location was mounted on Nov. 13, 2017. It is at the entrance to Sylvan Lake, on Pontiac Drive, at the edge of the entrance road to the Stone Soap Co. plant.

Pictured from the left are Steve Stone, of the Stone Soap Co.; and sign collaborators Eric Wiegand, John Marshall and Helen Jane Peters. Stone allowed the sign to be mounted on his company’s property. Peters is also part of the Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society. 

— Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society